Painting your home in Orange County is an opportunity. It's like a blind date, the process gives you a chance to really get to know where you live. Your house can be your canvas and a model for learning about architecture and architectural details.
How difficult is picking paint colors? Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it's not. Sometimes it will be totally apparent, but most times it's a decision you'll mull over for days, weeks, or months.
Remember These Things:
- Choose paint colors that not only bring out your home's beauty and character, but also get you thinking about architectural details.
- Photocopy a sketch or photograph of your house. Use watercolors or colored pencils to try color combinations and narrow your choices. Then use free tools to help you choose.
- Take your time. Be creative. Have fun! Make house painting a family project. Let the kids be responsible for painting a specific architectural detail, what's the worst that can happen? It's only paint.
- Light colors will make your house seem larger. Dark colors or bands of trim will make your house seem smaller, but will draw more attention to details. Should you even care about how large or small your home appears to be?
- For some accents, consider using darker or lighter shades instead of changing colors entirely.
- Remember the symbolism of color choices, like the feng shui of exterior house color.
Above all else, don't forget to finish the job with a dose of camaraderie and a great sense of and humor. And love equals patience.